Monday, February 25, 2008

#3- Toward The Future/From The Past

1. After writing my play, I feel that it was succesful. Some things I found frustrating was having to italicized the actions every single time. It got rather annoying because I had alot things that needed to be italicized in almost every other line. A limitation about the form that frustrated me was that it was hard to express what the character was feeling because you could only describe what they were doing in the play for the audience. Some pleasant suprises that I saw in writing a play was that I could go more in detail when describing the scene/set of the play. An unpleasant suprise that I encountered in writing my play was that I kept letting myself go on writing about how the character was feeling and how they were related to somebody when i relaized that that didn't need to be included in the play. Since the audience couldnt see for example that two people were cousins and went to the same school together when they were younger. I kept writing things like that in my scenes and would have to erase it and somehow let the characters act it out another way. I don't feel I would ever be extremely interested in writing a movie or a screenplay because I am not the most creative person.



2. If I ever needed to give advice to a kid who was 10 years old I would most likely give them advice about my experiences and for sure what type of things to look out for and prevent in high school and middle school. Based on my own experiences, I would advice the 10 year old to travel to different parts of the world so that they can experience different types of cultures and learn about other traditions, etc. When I went to South America for hte first time I was introduced to a whole new culture and it has really open me up to understand what it's like in a whole different place compared to here. Regarding school, I would advice the 10 year old kid to do all their homework and not skip classes all the time. I would also inform him that if you don't try hard in high school, then it will be hard to get into colleges and stuff. It is much easier if you just try hard in school so that choosing a college won't be stressfull or anything. Lastly, I would advice the kid to stay out of trouble in school!



3. I think that there are many things that cause great literary works to live forever. The idea of people being inspired is one thing that I feel allows people to continue to like different works for along time. A story, such as Huckleberry Finn, lets readers feel inspired to have courage and strengh just as Huckleberry developed throughtout the book. Themes in stories also make a story great and therefore people like being able to look forward to reading a book that portrays a specific theme that they enjoy. I don't think that I could ever in my entire life see myself writing a play, book, or movie because I don't feel as is I am that creative.

2 comments:

kelsey said...

I really enjoyed the freedom that came with the setting up the scene/set of the play and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed that aspect as well! I can see where it did get a lit of obnoxious everytime you had to italicize, double space etc. Good ideas on the advice part- I think that would be really cool for a kid to experience different cultures. That kid would be so far ahead of so many of us because that kid would be very open-minded. I love The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and I would agree with you that that is a very inspiring story! and you might be surprised...you may end up being some famous respected author, you never know!

siena said...

I agree that it was frustrating that you couldn't really express feelings except through thoughts and actions because we are so used to saying.. "ashley felt sad after seeing this.." but I liked how it was a challenge. I like your advice of telling them to travel and experience new cultures because I feel people don't do that enough and only experience life here and don't know how so many other people in the world live.