Tuesday, February 12, 2008

#2- Luigi Pirandello, playwright

1.) Theme is important in what we write because it is similar to having a main level. Without a theme a writer has nothing to go by and can't make numerous connections. A theme brings out the exciting side of the story. Also, I think that a great piece of literature does need to express and idea because without an idea in literature it doesnt give any expressions or emotions. One example of a book I have read that i feel expresses a great theme is the book, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. My opinion on this is that Huckleberry, a young boy, expresses the theme os bravery. Huckleberry shows readers what bravery is when he helps a runaway slave get to freedom. Many things get in their way but they seem to overcome what we thought isnt possible. If this book did not portray the theme of bravery, it would be somewhat boring because Huckleyberry's bravery led to great adventures which is what really makes up the book as a whole.


2.) One theme that I would consider communicating through my play would be finding you identity. I really think that this theme would be easy to express throughout my play. I feel that the theme, finding your identity, is similar to my life because when I came to Valley View in ninth grade I was still trying to find my identity. Through meeting new people and being at Edina for four years now I feel that I have now found my identity. This theme is important to me because I think that in many stories, most characters are always trying to find out who they are because there are many conflicts in their way that hasnt allowed them to succeed in finding their identity.


3.) One conflict that I could express in my play is self vs. self. I feel that this would be a good conflict to write about because you could really go on and on about a person and their struggles. Throughout my play I would help my character reach their goal of understanding themselves and recognizing who they are. After many conflicts and distractions this character would be able to find out who they are because they would be caught in a situation where there identity is revealed.

2 comments:

siena said...

I agree with a lot of the things you said about theme. Huck Finn is an interesting example but it works and shows a good example of theme.
Finding your identity is a good theme and be very interesting to read about in a play. I like how you tied your own experience into how you were thinking of a theme. Within the finding self identity there is probably some self vs. self conflict and I'm interested to see how it will play out!

kelsey said...

One of my favorite books is actually the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn!! You are right picking it as a good example of theme! I think that "finding your identity" is a good idea for a theme in a play. It is always interesting to me to read about how other people's character has been shaped by events.